After seeing your academic curriculum at the end of a term, you may say, “ Sleepless nights before exams are waiting for me”. And it is true that most students are easily found being surrounded by tons of books, notebooks, and journals, trying to race against time. This is a typical situation before an exam, isn’t it? The majority of students feel some sort of depression when it’s time to face with the examination period – “Again, these tests and 24-hours preparation to them. I can’t stand it!” Nervousness, fear of failure and anxiety are usually entailed right before the final exams as they are crucial – they determine whether a student proceeds to the next course or needs to repeat the previous one.
In this article, you’ll get equipped with the most effective ways to be ready for exams even if you have just a night. In the best case scenario, it is better to have extra days for exam preparation. But if there isn’t such additional time, let’s know how to be productive within the shortest period of time – a night before an exam.
3 Possible Ways to Spend a Night Before an Exam
Many months of academic work culminate into the outcome of the final exams – whether you pass or fail a course. In case you fail to pass them, the entire year is completely lost.
- Study smart during the term and get enough sleep before an exam. What do you think how many students follow this peaceful way of spending a night before an exam? Just visit The Student Room to find out that those who stick to the given manner of studying aren’t so many as required. Yes, you are supposed to study hard during the whole term and we are sure you do it – you complete all the assignments on time, learn the course content and so on. In fact, most students may overdo with studying. As a result, there is a lack of time and motivation to get well-prepared for exams. But those who study smart aren’t in the risky situation when the only night is left to prepare for an exam. They simply get a good night’s sleep. Want the same great results? Develop some smart study habits and enjoy the same great results as well. But if you still manage to study so that you can sleep a night before an exam, follow these sleep tips for exam success.
- Work hard during the whole night without proper sleeping. It is a common way for students to spend the night before an exam – no sleep, only studying. Students who never utilize the time they have throughout the academic year suffer most. They try to work magic – go through the whole year’s program of study in several days or even a night. Sounds fantastic to spend the night before the day X in desperate preparation for the upcoming hell! These efforts usually result in exhaustion, demoralization, and complete loss of sleep and confidence in knowledge and capabilities. But does it always work well for the student exam performance? Not sure! Most exam preparation tips are focused on a good night’s sleep. There are good reasons for that – scientists link a good night’s sleep to higher test scores. But it doesn’t mean that you’ll get some sleep and everything will pass.
- Cry all night “Why didn’t I prepare for an exam 3 days ago?” Yet another side of the Moon is that of college or university students engaged in high prayers to God or whoever there may be. Appeasing someone from above and hoping for the intervention from heaven is one of the most common ways of behavior among those who face the examinations. Attacked with the panic during the night before an exam and crying to Heaven? If you think a loud cry helps in the situation when the only night is left for the exam preparation, you go wrong. Don’t try to call for a helper during the whole night! You’re highly recommended to follow some essential tips on how to spend this night productively.
3 Ways to Overcome All the Obstacles Before an Exam
As a rule, the exams bring various reactions among the college and university students. Even in high school, you can suffer from taking exams being filled with fear and depression. While the A+ students can’t imagine their lives without the 1st place in the rating battles, those who are weak hope to get at least a “pass” grade. Is there any way of coping with the desperation caused by the academic tests? Sure, there is! The fear of college exams can be easily tackled by enough devotion, step-by-step planning, determinations and many days of work.
Balancing the daily routine with the studies should be performed on a regular basis. The number one solution to a restless, coffee-addicted and a sleepless night before the exam is the 100% completing of the academic course in a phased and well-planned manner. This will help the needy ones to feel more comfortable about the exam and save their nerves. But if you still have the only night, spend it productively!
1. Revise the Learning Material Effectively
The day before the final exam should be dedicated to the multiple revisions. What is the best way to do it? Read all the learning material? An impossible task! Firstly, get rid of all possible distractions in a room where you are going to prepare for an exam. Yes, your phone can distract you as well. Switch it off! However, there are some effective techniques that reduce a negative technology impact on the learners. Conversely, some digital tools help your focus on your studies. PhocusApp deserves a special notice to track your progress.
Secondly, reading doesn’t always mean learning. Based on work-learning research, people do not remember 10% of what they read. Want to remember 10% of what you read? Then, reading isn’t your way to prepare for an exam. Even if you need to reread a lot of material, it is better to create concept maps that explain the material briefly. Read loud instead of reading silently and quickly.
Thirdly, you can point out the weak spots of the subject you struggle during a term. It can be some topics or subtopics. But don’t miss them in any case. It is more productive than revising the information you’ll know well.
2. Eat and Sleep Well before an Exam
Nobody cancels eating and sleeping before an exam! Otherwise, there is no energy to take an exam without mentioning its pass at A level. It is highly recommended to have a healthy (early) dinner and lots of good sleep before an important event – an exam. The point is that having a sleepless night before the test will add to the fatigue levels. In general, sleep benefits are of inestimable value to memory that is necessary during the exam. Mind it!
3. Relax before an Exam
Having a fresh mind is half of the battle for the successful exam. An energetic and open-minded student will get better results than those, who are fatigued as hell. Find enough time to walk before an exam, for example, to tune in to the right wavelength – to pass an exam finally.
All these tips are helpful (proven in practice). The only task for you is to apply them in practice to sigh with relief, “I passed this exam!” Hopefully, you’ll enjoy this happy moment soon. Believe it isn’t the only happy moments in your student life. Feel free to enjoy the whole life at high school, college or university!