Writing an essay is an inevitable part of any educational process. When you are completing essays and other types of writing assignments, you need to plan your time effectively, research some sources of information extensively, organize all your ideas in a logical way, and so on. During the studies at school, college or university, students encounter a necessity to write essays on different topics. The “Save Electricity” essay was, is and will be of great interest for most. The importance of electricity in our daily lives can’t be underestimated. That’s why there is no wonder that your instructor asks to write an essay on the topic “Save Electricity”.
Welcome to our platform bringing you the essential knowledge and skills you need to be an effective writer in your study life. In this guide, you’ll learn how to write a “Save Electricity” essay so that it will be highly appreciated by your instructor. Believe it is possible to do if you follow all the essential tips mentioned here.
What Do We Know about Electricity and Its Use?
Electricity received a mass distribution among the world population about hundred years ago. This process was a breakthrough for mankind. Interesting who discovered electricity? This fact can be presented in your essay. Besides, you can think of how ancient people managed without electricity.
Today, there is no single industry sector or other areas where electricity is not used. Each apartment or a building operates a huge number of lighting fixtures and household appliances. Every day, every second person turns on the TV, computer, refrigerator and needs electricity constantly. It significantly reduces the amount of work that could be done in a manual way. Electricity is used for lighting buildings and streets, creating a microclimate (fans, ionizers, air conditioners, devices for heating), keeping foodstuff (freezers, refrigerators), cooking (cookers, microwave ovens, juicers, coffee machines), apartment cleaning (vacuum cleaners), laundry washing and drying (washing machines, electric dryers, and irons). The plants or factories are in constant need of electricity. It operates the engineering tools, electrical machinery, computers, and many other things. Electricity is a controllable and convenient form of energy used in all areas of our life and activity.
The whole point of saving electricity lies in the fact that electricity is generated from natural resources, the number of which is limited. In addition, this process is harmful to the environment. The unsustainable use of natural resources can not only violate the balance of nature but also make the planet completely uninhabitable. Currently, thermal power plants are the main producers of electricity. They produce energy from a low-cost processing of non-renewable natural resources such as gas, coal, and petroleum products. When burning, such fuels discharge in the air particles of ash, soot, and ash, as well as toxic substances contained in the smoke. Arsenic, silicas and calcium, sulfur dioxide and heavy metals are among them. All of this is not only deposited in our lungs but also affects the state of the atmosphere, creating the so-called greenhouse effect. So is it better to live like the past generations or try to save electricity? This question can be answered in your essay to the fullest extent.
How to Save Electricity on Our Planet?
If the question “How to save electricity?” arises in your essay, it is worth to answer it based on the most effective ways to save electricity. So what can we do to reduce or eliminate an unnecessary use of electricity?
- Use energy-efficient lighting fixtures. The most basic way to save light is to replace conventional light bulbs with energy-saving lamps.
- Turn off lights in rooms where there is nobody. If you do have a bad memory, write a note as a reminder, and fasten it in a visible place at the entrance.
- Follow the instructions supplied with the household appliances and keep track of their condition. For example, periodically clean a kettle from a scale. Besides, a refrigerator near a heat source consumes more electricity.
- Make home renovation. Bright light wallpaper or paint allow rooms to reflect up to 80% of the sun rays.
- Wipe dust from the bulbs.
- Use heat reflectors (thermal mirrors).
- Insulate the apartment, house and/or room.
If the environmental problems are not in your priority, remember that while saving electricity, you also save your money. Try out 21 no-cost ways to save electricity.
How to Write a “Save Electricity” Essay?
- Lay the groundwork. What does it mean? Every academic paper needs to contain a coherent set of ideas so that it makes the most sense to a reader. After you are assigned with a topic “Save Electricity” for your essay, you should conduct in-depth research in it. Read up on the subject of your essay as much as possible. Where to find information on the given topic? Among a number of different sources of information, we offer the following:
- Scudder, R. (2011, August 1). Environmental Issues of Electricity Consumption: The Need for Fuel.
- Thompson, V. (2015). How Does Electricity Affect the Environment?
- White, N. (2010). Save Energy and Cut Your Bills. Blacklick, OH: McGraw-Hill.
- Write a thesis statement. After a close observation of the information available to you, formulate a rough thesis statement that will be revised in the course of writing. It is worth to determine the main point of your essay and your position to it at the very beginning. It will be easier for you to guide your essay writing and keep your argument focused. You can point out that today the global electricity sector meets such challenges as the security of supply to keep up with the high demand for electricity, the fight against any climate change, and the global trend toward urbanization. Let your thesis direct you in the right way.
- Create an outline for your essay. When a thesis statement is formulated, you have a trajectory of writing on the topic. Start from the most problematic issues in saving electricity turning to the effective approaches that can encourage energy efficiency in the modern world. Your essay may contain many different kinds of information – some background information, facts, statistics, research results, report findings, etc. All that should be in particular parts of an essay. Indeed, you have many options for the essay organization. But the following way of essay writing will be more logical:
- Organize the body of your essay first. Know why it is needed to be done first? Because any essay topic must be explained, described, or argued before being introduced and concluded. So start writing down one of the main ideas you point out in a sentence form. For example, “There is a growing demand for energy” or “There should be the regulation of greenhouse gas emissions in the environment”. Then, write down some supporting details for each of the main ideas. It can be some report findings or research results – everything that adds the credibility to your essay. A concluding sentence will make every paragraph look logically complete. Be sure it will be appreciated by your readers, especially if they see some link words, phrases or sentences to switch from one idea to the next one.
- Prepare the correct words to introduce a topic and conclude an essay. As you see now, your essay lacks only two paragraphs – an introduction and conclusion. Imagine that an introduction to yourself as if you give the reader a point of entry to your essay and a conclusion as if you give a point of exit. It is essential to think of words suitable for each part. For example, in the introduction, the reader should get interested to continue reading your essay till the end. What can help here? Any startling statement on the necessity of saving electricity. For example, “Humans are responsible for 70% of global energy-related CO2 emissions that cause air pollution in the world.” How to bring closure to the reader? Sum up all your points briefly and provide a final perspective on the essay topic in the conclusion.
Now, you are armed with all the necessary tips on how to write an essay on such a topic as “Save Electricity”. It is time to apply them practically. Be sure all our recommendations will work well for you!